Tree of Life 24-in. Diameter Handmade Steel Drum Wall Art
Using steel drums that transported liquids, artisans in Croix des Bouquets, Haiti stencil elaborate designs on the flattened drums and cut and emboss the pieces into fantastic wall art. The Tree of Life is a particularly prevalent design, meaning so much more to the Haitian artisans after the earthquake. A high-gloss protective finish makes the piece suitable for hanging indoors or out.
- The piece is approximately 61 cm in diameter
- Often the artisan's name or initials are etched on the back
- The recycled metal has a natural patina that will vary from piece to piece
- To ensure the piece hangs flat, there is no hook on the back. The piece would hang on a nail through one of the cutouts
- Please allow for slight variations in the design due to the fact that the item is handmade and each artisan adds his flair to the piece.
- This is a fair trade product meaning that all persons involved in its production made a fair wage.
About the Artisan
We began working with Carlo Brutus, one of the metal artisans we met in 2008 in Croix des Bouquets, an area of Port-Au-Prince, Haiti known for artisans who make oil drum art. Back then, Carlo and the other metal artisans, very adept at their craft, struggled with marketing and exporting. Another producer partner provided logistical support on our behalf. Two weeks after the 2010 earthquake, Carlo was eager to reinitiate production but the logistics partner was struggling with extreme damages and was trying to reestablish itself on an abandoned tennis court. In a country suffering unimaginable devastation and chaos, Carlo managed to organize and pack a large shipment of Trees of Life metalwork, transport it to the airport, establish an export license, and set up a bank account. Since then we've sold more than 5000 of the Trees of Life purchased directly from the metal artisans.