B-24D Liberator Ploesti Model
This B-24 Liberator was operated by the 15th Air Force in Cyrenaica and flew on raid to the Ploesti oilfieds on August 1 1943. The bombers were painted in desert pink. The B24D Liberator was the first liberator that was put into mass production by Consolidated. More than 2 700 B-24D was produced. The first production of B-24D was almost similar to B-24C and was delivered to the Army Air Corps. The B-24Ds long deep fuselage enabled the Army Forces to settle in to a continuous diversity of attacks. The B-24D served commendably not only as bombers but also as photo reconnaissance aircraft anti submarine aircraft and as cargo planes too. In 1943 The B24D Liberator replaced the B-17 Flying Fortress as the heavy bomber in the South Pacific. The liberator was flown by the Army and Navy Aircrews. Five months after the production of the B-24D in San Diego Consolidated began a new production of the B24D in Forth Worth. The Liberator attained recognition during the WWII as one of the Army Air Forces most reliable long range bombers.